Today “Intolerance” is most politicized word, but we cannot ignore this word. I am referring to increasing intolerance among Gen C customers, who have the power to make or break any company.
The change in customer behavior with generational change is quite natural, companies have seen many generations of customers Silent generation, Baby boomers, Gen X, Gen Y (Millennials). But the evolution of internet and connected devices has drastically cha
nged the customer behavior and a new generation of customer has evolved
called Gen “C” customers.
The Generation C, or Gen C, is a term coined by Nielsen. The Gen C is not identified based on their age or demographics but they are identified based on thei
r behavior or psychographics. These
customers are highly digital ly active and connected consumers, they thrive on
creation, connection and community.
s expect superior customer service, competitive price, and
quick delivery. They are trend setters, early adopters, have limitless
sphere of influence and are always activ e in online forums.
On the positive side, they are passionate brand advocates, vocal supporters and can become high value customers.
On the other side, they are very intolerant customers, their service expectation is sky high.
What can companies do?
They cannot ignore these customers, as the population of these customers is growing at an exponential rate.
Undoubtedly, the increasing intolerance among customers is a serious issue. Few things that companies can do to contain this situation are:
· Set right customer expectations: Companies set up many customer expectations about the type of service they will deliver, time taken for delivery etc. Many times companies communicate vague service delivera
bles like delivery will be done as
soon as possible, immediately, very soon etc. A clear & quantifiable
timeline, like delivery will be done within 2 hours or 2 days helps set the
correct customer expectation. Similarly, all other deliverables should be
quantifiable, in order to set right customer expectations.
· Standardize Customer Service: All the service deliverables should follow some industry or company designed standards. This
can be easily done and
monitored by automating the service deliverables. This will again help in setting
the right customer expectations.
· Continuous communication: Communicate all the relevant information to the customers and if possible try to use all the possible channels of communication like voice, SMS, chat, and social media.
· Leverage BigData and Customers Analytics: Try to u
nderstand the customer
behavior, identity the customers with high lifetime value, t ry to increase the
high valu e customers and try to let go the least value customer. It should be
done in a dignified manner and there should be a process to let go a customer.
The data is essential, data cannot capture everything, take the help of experts
to understand the customer behavior.
· Hi-tech contact center: The contact center technology, is improving at a fast pace. Use the latest technology to run your contact center or call center. The contact center should be omni-channel, it should give complete report for each customer touch point, che
daily and live reports of contact center. Monitor customer communication, many
companies were even using sentiment analysis in contact center, to understand
the customer behavior.
Hopefully, by following the above steps, companies can shield themselves from increasing customer intolerance.
If you want to study more about increasing customer expectation do read the book, “,” by Alan Trefler, Founder and CEO of Pegasystems.
About Ozonetel: Ozonetel Systems is an India based Cloud Telephony Solution provider. Ozonetel is the only Indian company that developed
complete cloud telephony platform and provide complete cloud contact center
solution, multichannel ( i.e.
Voice, email, social media, SMS, live chat. Click2CAll) communication solution.